Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I am an 83 year old male and have been taking Finasteride for

I am an 83 year old male and have been taking Finasteride for about 4 years for enlarged prostate. Is this a sign that I could have prostate cancer?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions:

No,this does not mean that you have prostate cancer.

Finasteride is used to treat symptoms of BPH.

BPH is Benign prostatic hyperplasia."Benign" means the enlargement isn't caused by cancer or infection. "Hyperplasia" means enlargement.

With age, the prosate gland may begin to grow.The growth may eventually cause problems with urination, because the gland pinches off the urethra as it increases its size.

Finasteride is in a class of medications called 5-alpha reductase inhibitors.It works by blocking the conversion of the hormone testosterone to dihydrotestosterone in the prostate. It also may decrease the chance that prostate surgery will be needed.

So botXXXXX XXXXXne is that you have been prescribed Finasteride for about 4 years to treat symptoms of Benign prostatic hyperplasia.This is not a sign that you could have prostate cancer.You need to continue taking it as prescribed.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert