Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Which is the best type of radiotherapy for Breast cancer

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--can you tell me what you mean by the term "best?"
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

This is Dr. David

I am a radiation oncology doctor

I give radiation therapy for patients who have breast cancer

there are different ways to give radiation.

the two major types are whole breast radiation and partial breast radiation

have you had surgery for your breast cancer yet?

can you tell me more about your breast cancer type? and the stage of your breast cancer?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--since you first asked for me let me answer and then we can continue. Depending on the type of breast cancer and its extent, radiation therapy is either directed specifically at the tumor or it can be directed at the entire breast. Proton radiation therapy is relatively new but it offers some advantages over conventional therapy including quicker recovery times and more accurate targeting of the cancer.
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.

This is Dr. David

proton radiation therapy is not used for breast cancer.

Proton therapy is not new. it has been around since the 1970s and is used mainly for pediatric cases and for brain tumors.

it is not used for breast cancer.

Radiation for your breast is used after your breast cancer has been cut out.

traditional whole breast radiation therapy with photon radiation for 5 weeks has been used since the 1970s and has a very good track record of decrease chances of your cancer from coming back.

it is so good, that you don't need to have a mastectomy. you can have lumpectomy and breast radiation and have the same chances for survival and local recurrence as mastectomy.

Partial breast radiation is newer and is still being studied in human trial research.

it is a faster course of treatment, but only part of the breast is receiving radiation therapy. partial breast radiation therapy should only be used in certain situation

that is why I asked you what type of breast cancer you have and what stage of your breast cancer.