Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My granddaughter who is 18 has been diagnosed witha recurrent

Customer Question

My granddaughter who is 18 has been diagnosed witha recurrent kidney infection and has been prescribed ciproxacillian 500 to be taken for 2weeks. She has now had to commence her 2nd course of the same as symptoms of the kidney infection have again presented themselves. She was told by the urologist she saw that if these antibiotics didn't clear up the infection that the only recourse left was an oral medication which he described as being like "bleach". She is very anxious, she says that at times her urine smells of ammonia, which she has read can indicate kidney damage. She is about to start her A level exams next week and is feeling utterly wretched.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

There is no reason for her to be concerned about the smell of ammonia. The ammonia smell of the urine is related to the excretion of waste products, and a greater smell frequently only indicates a greater concentration, usually because of less fluid, not more waste products. The ammonia smell does not indicate kidney damage. It is possible for the ammonia smell to be greater because of an infection, although a diagnosis of an infection cannot be made solely based on the smell of the urine.

So, there is no reason for her to be concerned that the smell is related to kidney damage. It is appropriate for her to be completely the antibiotic course to be treating the infection. It also would be appropriate for her to be drinking plenty of fluids to keep the system flushed. Otherwise, there is no reason for concern about the ammonia smell.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.