Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

My son has a deviated nasal septum which he got from a sporting

My son has a deviated nasal septum which he got from a sporting injury and he finds douching every day with a neti pot very helpful. I have noticed that over time, I think the nasal septum is becoming more deviated. Can this happen with douching if the nasal septum is weak in the first place? It is impossible to get any information on this at all.

Any advice you can give me on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Sheila
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question.

Well, as such use of Neti pot is recommended for persons suffering with deviated septum. By this procedure, the cleaning process becomes speedy and is found to beneficial in such cases.

I have as such found no results, saying that deviated nasal septum get worsened with Neti pot. Please don't take stress.

One can go consider surgery to correct deviated septum (septoplasty).
Long term use of Neti pot by adding salt to warm water is beneficial as it washes away bacteria and debris.

Please don't take stress that with use of neti pot nasal septum would further get weakened. It is just a myth.

He can safely use neti pot for long term.

I hope this helps.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Dr Robert for replying so quickly. I am a little baffled then as to why this condition seems to be getting worse if water pressure from the neti pot does not make it worse. Do deviated nasal septums get worse by the very nature of what they are? We never really checked this problem out and my son is not bothered to do anything about it. He is only 20 years old now though, does this condition worsen with age?

Dear Customer,

Thanks for appreciating my work.

As such he need to get a clinical examination and X-ray of nasal septum done. Sometimes, symptoms may get worsened.
He would need these medications-

1. Decongestants- They would reduce nasal tissue swelling, and helps to keep the airways on both sides of your nose open.
2. Antihistamines would be helpful.
3. Nasal steroid sprays can also be given.

He should be seen by ENT doctor and appropriate management should be advised.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Dr Robert

Thank you for the advice regarding the decongestants etc. We wouldn't use those because of the effect they have on the body long term but douching with a sea salt solution using that neti pot is extremely helpful for keeping his airways clear. It was just a matter of checking that the pressure of water from the neti pot would not make the problem worse.

Thank you for your help.

Sheila

Dear Customer,

Well, decongestants can be used for short term, and also use of Nasal steroid sprays for short term would be very useful.
They can be used only under guidance of doctor.

I hope this helps.

If I have answered your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.