Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I am a 59 year old woman. I have been suffering with anxiety

I am a 59 year old woman. I have been suffering with anxiety and depression for 5 years. I have gone through therapy and take antidepressants and have had periods of well being. What is happening now is if I visit my daughter in Ireland or my sister for a few weeks, the depression lifts, but as soon as I return home I feel anxious and depressed with in a day of returning - every single time. Within a few days I don't want to get out of bed or leave the house even though I have been up and out and about a few days previously. I am trying to understand why this is happening and what I can do to ease these symptoms.

Grace
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--so you're no longer in therapy? Do you live alone?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi - Yes I live alone and divorced for 16 years. I have always enjoyed living alone until the depression started. My last therapy ended about 5 months ago as I had reached a really good place but the depression came back 2 months ago. Could CBT work?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Grace--and we can continue after this. I'm a strong proponent for CBT in a lot of cases with my own patients. As you probably know there are basically two kinds of depression--chemical, where there's not much reason to be depressed and yet you are. and what I call situational where there are reasons to be depressed, or, at least reasons that thought about negatively make one depressed. It sounds as though change--like visiting your daughter and being in a loving environment--resets your brain as regards XXXXX XXXXX thinking. Perhaps you need to develop a supporting group of friends and acquaintances that you spend time with so you aren't left alone with your thoughts. In addition, CBT can take the negative thinking about your life as it is now and turn that around.