Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Hi, I had diarrhoea this morning although not severe. I took

Hi, I had diarrhoea this morning although not severe. I took my (combined) contraceptive pill after it had calmed down, and well within the 12 hour period, but 15 mins approx. after taking it I had another very loose movement. It isn't watery but just very very loose. Will I still be protected against pregnancy, or do I need to take another pill? If I do need to take another pill how will that work with the rest of the packet, ie I'll be one short - would I need to use another packet therefore as a reserve pack. The pill I'm taking is Gedarel, and this is my 4th pill this month.
Elena
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Hasan :

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

So you mean that you had your bowel movement 15 minutes after you took the tablet?

Customer:

Yes that's correct thanks

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your illness.

Dr. Hasan :

No you don't need to take another pill.

Dr. Hasan :

The tablet can't pass with your bowel movement in 15 minutes.

Dr. Hasan :

If you would have vomited, in that case i would advised to take the pill again.

Dr. Hasan :

But sine you just had bowel movement within 15 minutes, there is no need to worry and you don't need to repeat the dose.

Dr. Hasan :

Yes you are still protected.

Customer:

That's great thank you!

Dr. Hasan :

Any question that you want to ask?

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome.

Customer:

As long as I'm still protected that's great thanks

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome. My best wishes and prayers are for you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Dr. Hasan :

Elena do you have any further question?

Dr. Hasan :

I am sorry you are shown to be typing but I am not getting your reply.

Customer:

Out of curiosity is it just severe diarrohea that affects the pill, and how long would it take for a bowel movement to make a difference to protection

Dr. Hasan :

Thank you for letting me know. Whatever we eat passes with bowel movement after getting digested. Even with the diarrhea (like you have), 15 minute is not enough time for the tablet to reach rectum and anal canal. Even in diarrhea 1 hour is considered to be a significant time.

Dr. Hasan :

till 15 minutes the contents are in stomach and vomiting can affect the pills but bowel movements can't.

Customer:

ok great, it was15-20 mins so sounds like I'm covered and haven't been since

Dr. Hasan :

Yes you are safe.

Dr. Hasan :

Don't worry

Customer:

Fabulous thanks

Dr. Hasan :

most welcome.

Dr. Hasan :

Anything else you want to ask?

Customer:

No that's great thanks

Dr. Hasan :

Most welcome. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Dr. Hasan :

If you are encountering any difficulty in rating the answer, please let me know.

Customer:

Sorry I had to take a work call! Will rate now

Dr. Hasan :

:)

Dr. Hasan :