DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177
Medical

Hello. My son aged 11 came down with ITP after contracting

Hello.
My son aged 11 came... Show More
Hello.
My son aged 11 came down with ITP after contracting a viral cough,coupled with his asthma .his platelet count went down to 1,he was given hemaglobian and it went back up to 24.
As an aside he had violent reaction to the hemaglobian.
That was one week ago, we had his bloods done again today and they are at 9
What is the main course of action to start the journey to recovery, and is there an alternative to hemaglobian .
Thank you XXXXX
Show Less
replied 3 years ago.
Hello from ja.

I am Doctor Thomas, double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine. I will start by asking you a question or by giving you an answer based on your information provided so far. I will be here to follow up with any further questions or concerns you might have.

In most children, they get better without treatment.
Hemoglobin is not a treatment.
If he needs treatment for ITP, typical regiments are
steroid
Intravenous gammaglobulin
Nplate [which might be what they actually gave him]
Rituxan
Removal of the spleen in refractory cases.

I would go over this list specifically with this doctor.
If his platelet count is not continuing to rise, a brief hospital stay might be in order.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].

Customer reply replied 3 years ago.
I suppose after he had the intravenous last week,and his blood count went up to 24,! I was very upset to see it drop to 9, today,is it normal for the blood count to move around? Or is it a waiting game for his blood to go up? I am being very careful with him.