Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Hi, I am really worried about my mum. She has been diagnosed

Customer Question

Hi, I am really worried about my mum. She has been diagnosed with Costochondritis. Could you tell me does this affect eating as she is having so much trouble eating, the food just won't go down. Yesterday she ate three bites of a sandwich and had to bring it up. Please help, I am so worried. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Before I answer this, I would like to clarify that does she feel that it is painful to swallow the food or the food gets stuck in the food pipe? Since how long she has this swallowing problem? Any associated neck nodes, hoarse voice? Any diagnosed medical problem or any medications she is on? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you so much for answering. My mum is on steroids for rheumatoid arthritis. She has pains in her ribs even drinking a cup of tea and was told it was Costochondritis. She has no pain at all and no problems at any time other than when she eats solid foods. She has to wait for it to go down as it gets stuck. The swallowing is fine, it just gets stuck until it finally goes down or she has to bring it back up

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome. Which specialist she has seen and what sort of investigations have been done so far? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She has not seen a specialist, just the GP. She told him about her problems relating to food but he seemed to think it was a normal part of the problem.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Diane thanks a lot for your input. I am really sorry to hear about your mother and to hear that you are so stressed. Costochondritis is a condition characterized by inflammation of the rib cartilages. The symptoms associated with Costochondritis include pain in the ribs but this pain is not associated with eating. In your mothers case, I respectfully XXXXX XXXXX your GP because even if he thinks that pain is related to Costochondritis, it should be there both with solids and liquids. Food getting stuck in food pipe is never a symptom of Costochondritis. The cause behind this needs to be investigated and for that your mother should ask her GP to order CT scan from brain to upper stomach. Moreover a test called barium swallow should be done. According to the results should be seen either by an ENT specialist or by a gastroenterologist. I know you are worried but I reassure you that you don't need to be because serious diseases like cancers can't present with symptoms like she has. But at least Costochondritis is not the cause of her symptoms in my opinion and she needs further investigations and consultations as advised above. I wish her good luck and that she gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you so very much. You read my mind, I am terrified that it can be that horrible nasty word.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome. Actually reading on line about diseases by people who are not doctors is just adding up to their anxiety. It is not the symptoms that matter, it is the pattern of those symptoms that matter in diagnosis and I have just evaluated that pattern in your mothers case. Don't worry she is going to be OK. Just get the proper investigations done. I wish her good luck and that she gets well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My mum has been diagnosed as having "IT". I am terrified.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean by IT?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Big C, thats what I was discussing with you previously

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
You discussed with me that she was costochondritis. Is there anything which has got diagnosed now?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am so sorry, my head is all over the place. My mum has been diagnosed with the big "C", sorry I just can't say it. She has it in the osoephagas. It is the one beginning with S something cells that is treated with radio/chemo. Can this actually shrink it or even kill it?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Oh I got it. I am so sorry about this. Really feeling sorry. Yes it can be treated with chemo and radio therapy with very good results. I can guide you further if you send me the details of her reports.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you so much, I am truly living in hell at the moment. The CT scan showed a tiny lesion possibly on the lung and a couple of possible nodes outside the gullet but doctor didn't seem too worried about those. If they are there, will the chemo kill those too

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. Yes chemo radiation can kill those cells and having tiny lesions means that response is likely to be good. Be strong and support her. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.