Dr. David
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board Certified Physician
41363181

I have recently had my bloods tested at my GPs and it came

Customer Question

I have recently had my bloods tested at my GP's and it came back showing high testosterone levels. I have been for a pelvic scan but i have no cysts on my ovaries only a few follicles. I originally wanted my blood checking because i have been struggling to lose weight even when dieting and exercising and i have been feeling funny around my periods. Lots of brain fog/not with it a little nauseous. I have a mirena coil and i was wondering if having this removed might make me feel better. I do take 1000mg of Keppra daily to stop me having seizures. I had a haemorhage December 2012 and a Cavernoma removed March 2013. The scar tissue left on my brain following the haemorhage leaves me at risk of seizures. I know hormonal imbalances can trigger seizures and i had one last month and got my period two days later so i am worried if i have an imbalance it could trigger more seizures. I don't need the coil anymore so do you think i would be okay to remove it or would this disrupt my hormones even more?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
This is Dr. David

how high was your testosterone level?

did you get your FSH and LH levels checked?

if not, you should

you need to see an endocrinologist and see if your FSH and LH levels are elevated

your pituitary gland could be producing too much FSH and LH and this could be overstimulating your ovaries to produce too much estrogen and testoterone.

have you consulted with an endocrinologist yet?

what is your TSH or thyroid stimulating hormone level?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My Androstenedione level was 6.1 and apparently it should be between 0.8 and 4.7. My TSH was 1.22 i don't think my FSH and LH levels were checked. I am seeing my GP again on the third of June and i am asking to be referred.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
I see.

that is only slightly high.

your TSH level looks good

you should also get your sex binding hormone levels checked.

high androgen levels can make it hard for you to loose weight

you might do better on a daily birth control pill

that could level out your hormones better

do ask to see an endocrinology expert.

I hope you get better

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your help

Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 years ago.
you are welcome

don't forget to leave positive feedback below

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me as Dr. David if you have other questions.

thanks for using JustAnswer.com