DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

About four years ago, after having my gall bladder out about

About four years ago, after having my gall bladder out about 3 days later I unfortunately suffered a cecal volvulus that resulted in an emergency right hemicolectomy. I was 32 at the time and I am female. Since the op I have suffered from a very 'loose' digestive system which I have learnt to cope with and recently I discovered that the cecum is responsible for water re-absorption from the small intestine which is probably why I am loose. However, I have also read that the cecum is responsible for re-absorption of minerals as well as water and now I would like to know whether my body is significantly missing out on vital minerals and whether I should substitute my normal healthy diet with any other nutritional supplements or whether it's nothing to be worried about and perhaps the remainder of my large colon will absorb a sufficient amount to make up for it?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
No.
But diet becomes all important for colon function.
Can you tell me what you eat, meal to meal, typical day?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have a soya drink for breakfast (plenty for me), soup, babybel, sugar free jelly and an apple for lunch, 9bar (seeded bar) for my after work snack and then a low carb supper - usually me at and two veg followed by low fat yoghurt and agave syrup. Additional evening snacks are plain nuts and/or dried fruit. I also have sugar free Coffee and tea x 4 through-out office hours, less on weekends and the tea is decaff.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
This is not a bowel stabilizing diet, and has not near enough soluble fiver. It is also your diet that is not very nutritious....not your colon that is not absorbing.

The diet, in order of preference in quantity, should look like this
leafy greens
green veggies
other veggies
whole fruit, beans and peas
Whole grains no yeasted breads, dry cereals or anything refined
Seeds and nuts, but cut out seeds if you have any diverticulosis.
A little tofu or tempeh daily
A little high quality soy or coconut milk yogurt

The soluble fiber in this strategy will stabilized colon function in about 6 to 8 weeks, then about 2 or three helpings of animal foods a week, preferably fish, can be added back.
See the book Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, for instructions on this type of diet.

Avoid sugar, and that includes all forms of it.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].