Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

started 2 weeks ago with dizziness one morning. Other symptoms

Customer Question

started 2 weeks ago with dizziness one morning. Other symptoms are lack of concentration, memory loss, feeling very very tired, pressure in my head, tinnitus, and nosia. My GP prescribed antihistamines which I took for a couple of days and made the nosia better, but other symptoms exist and I feel are getting worse, especially concentration/coordinations, memory loss and tiredness.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Do you have any medical conditions and did your doctor run any tests?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have taken tablets for high blood pressure and cholesterol for a few years. I also have a history of slipped disk in my lower back and recently get a bad neck too from bad posture I think. The doctor just checked my eyes by asking me to follow a moving pen. That was it I think.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The GP said I should start feeling better after a couple of days and that was 7 days ago.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Mehran. This sounds like a thyroid problem as in low thyroid functioning although it could also be a problem with anemia. Your doctor needs to do some blood work to check for both of those. You need to go back to him and let him know that you are still having these problems
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is it possible to tell me more about it please, especially the thyroid problem?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
If the thyroid gland gets weak and doesn't produce enough thyroid hormone that's called hypothyroidism and untreated it can cause fatigue, concentration problems, dizziness, etc. It's easily treated with thyroid medication. Anemia of course is a less than normal number of red blood cells, sometimes from a lack of enough iron in the diet.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I should be seeing the GP tomorrow. Is the blood test normally adequate to pick up both these issues. My GP thought it had something to do with my inner ear. I suppose that might have to be ruled out now since he thought I should start to feel better after a couple of days and I've had this thing for 2 weeks now?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Yes--they're both easily tested with blood work. The dizziness may have been inner ear but that wouldn't cause all the other symptoms you have Mehran. Get tested and let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your advice. Good night (or good day depending on where you are)!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure Mehran but keep in touch