Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am due to have a lump removed from the rear edge of my ear,

I am due to have a lump removed from the rear edge of my ear, will the biopsy prove whether the lump is cancerous or not, please. Also are there any special preparations I need to make?
Thank you, XXXXX
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, the pathologic examination of the lump will prove whether the lump is cancerous. We usually use the term, "biopsy", to refer to a removal of a portion of a lesion, which is then sent for pathologic examination. If the plan is the complete removal of the lump, the procedure may not be called a biopsy, but it will also be sent for pathologic examination. Whether a biopsy or the complete lump, it is the pathologic examination that proves whether it is cancerous or not.

There is usually no special preparation for an excision of a lump on the ear beyond the general preparation for any surgery of cleaning the area during a bath or shower on the morning of the procedure.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.