Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am due to have a lump removed from the rear edge of my ear,

I am due to have a lump removed from the rear edge of my ear, will the biopsy prove whether the lump is cancerous or not, please. Also are there any special preparations I need to make?
Thank you, XXXXX
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, the pathologic examination of the lump will prove whether the lump is cancerous. We usually use the term, "biopsy", to refer to a removal of a portion of a lesion, which is then sent for pathologic examination. If the plan is the complete removal of the lump, the procedure may not be called a biopsy, but it will also be sent for pathologic examination. Whether a biopsy or the complete lump, it is the pathologic examination that proves whether it is cancerous or not.

There is usually no special preparation for an excision of a lump on the ear beyond the general preparation for any surgery of cleaning the area during a bath or shower on the morning of the procedure.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.