Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

In the mornings have runny nose,eyes watering,my nose is sore

Customer Question

In the mornings have runny nose,eyes watering,my nose is sore and sensitive.Is this hayfever?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, this is most likely due to allergies, which is the condition that is meant by hay fever. Doctors do not typically call it hay fever, as it is a layman's term.

The medical term for hay fever is an allergic rhinitis if it affects the nose or an allergic conjunctivitis if it affects the eyes. If a person is having diffuse symptoms, we may simply say that they are having allergies.

Hay fever implies that it is a reaction to hay, but there are many other possible substances that can trigger allergies. When someone wakes up with allergy symptoms, it is most likely that they are allergic to something to which they come in contact while asleep, and the most common is dust mites. Contrary to the name, it does not require dust to be present and it is common for bed linens, pillows, and mattresses to be loaded with dust mites. The dust mites actually live off the dead skin cells that flake off human skin, so they tend to be in large quantities where humans spend a large amount of time, including the bed.

So, yes, this is the same as hay fever, but is most likely an allergic reaction to a home substance, such as the dust mite. It would be reasonable to first try an over the counter antihistamine to see if the symptoms can be eased.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.