Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Hello, is there such a condition of health anxiety. My son

Hello, is there such a condition of health anxiety. My son is 22 and over the last couple of months has become totally obsessed with moles and melanoma. He has now had three removed by dermatologists, against their advice but just to give him peace of mind, which it does but only for a day or so. His GP at his uni realised this is a stress situation and gave him beta blockers, in my opinion he wasn't taking enough of them as he thinks his problems are physical, however they calm him a little. Just over w week ago the GP prescribed some other pills called 'lustral', she did tell him that he would not feel the good effects of these for about two weeks. He is now one week into the prescription and appears to be getting more and more down. He does attend the 'open door' team of counsellors at the uni but they are so booked that he only sees them about every three weeks. He had another mole removed two days ago, has to wait a week for the results and is getting frantic. So far he has seen at least 10 different physicians, he constantly looks up symptoms on the net and then develops the symptoms. Is it possible to talk yourself into symptoms? I have flown back from Saudi, where my husband works, to be with him, his girlfriend is very supportive too so he is not alone. I am at a loss as to where to turn now. He has also neglected to finish his masters as he can only think about dying of cancer. Sorry to have gone on so much but I am desperate to find some answers and can u confirm that these pills he is on will make him feel worse before he feels better and also a timeline on this if you can. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give. XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Scroll down to see my messages. Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

is he taking his medicines regularly?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello do you see my messages?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i asked, is he taking the medicines regularly?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello do you see my messages?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello I was trying to chat live with you but this does not seem to be working. I am now switching to the Q&A mode. Please hold on while I type out your answer. Do not rate now though the system may prompt you. I will be back with your answer in a couple of minutes.

Customer: Hello Dr.jyoti, thanks for getting back to me. In answer to your question, yes he is taking his medicine every day
Dr. P. Jyoti :

ok

Dr. P. Jyoti :

he is suffering from severe health anxiety

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this is a fairly common condition

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it is quite well known

Dr. P. Jyoti :

sertraline is a very effective medicine for this usually

Dr. P. Jyoti :

sertraline is a good anxiolytic

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but he is continuing to have anxiety even after being on this drug

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hence i would advise you to discuss with his psychiatrist again

Dr. P. Jyoti :

consult a psychiatrist if you have not consulted one already

Dr. P. Jyoti :

since a plain anxiolytic is not helping much,

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it would be better to go for an antidepressant with anxiolytic funcitions

Dr. P. Jyoti :

like SSRI drugs

Dr. P. Jyoti :

these can be more effective when anxiolytics alone are not helping in anxiety

Dr. P. Jyoti :

consult his doctors for this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

he needs either new medicines or change in dose of the medicines

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it is not good that he should be suffereing needlessly for this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

see his doctor and discuss accordingly

Dr. P. Jyoti :

whether he needs a new class of drugs like SSRI or whether he needs a higher dose of sertraline

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish him good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any furhter questions?

Customer: His doctor did say it would take two weeks to work and he has only been on them for a week. We cannot see his doctor as she is I York and we are in London. Do you think it is normal to feel worse before they kick in?
Dr. P. Jyoti :

yes it can sometimes happen

Dr. P. Jyoti :

if it has been only one week then it makes sense to wait for a couple of weeks as your doctor has suggested

Dr. P. Jyoti :

sometimes symptoms may increase at first

Dr. P. Jyoti :

give him another week then

Dr. P. Jyoti :

if you find he is still anxious after that ask him to see his doctor again

Dr. P. Jyoti :

and discuss as I said

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but for now let him wait

Dr. P. Jyoti :

advise him to sleep regularly and well

Customer: Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX also continue with the beta blockers?
Dr. P. Jyoti :

yes let him continue with the beta blockers

Dr. P. Jyoti :

they help in anxiety

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer: thanks