Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

had poloy cysts its has affected my matabolism and find it

had poloy cysts its has affected my matabolism and find it hard to loose weight what can i do or take to help .
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Scroll down to see my messages. Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello when were you diagnosed with polycystic ovaries? is that what you had?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

THere are a number of medical conditions that can make you lose weight.

some of the conditions that you need to rule out are:

Medications: Anti depressants, anticonvulsants, oral contraceptives, corticosteroids.

Hypothyroidism: T3, T4 and TSH.

Dyslipidemia: Lipid profile in blood, rarely plasma Leptin.

Cushing's disease: Glucocorticoids.

Insulin resistance: tests for insulin resistance include insulin levels, GTT, etc. Link.

Glucose intolerance: Glucose tolerance test.

Liver abnormalities: Liver function tests.

See your doctor and discuss about this. These may also be the causes for your failure to lose weight.

You should also discuss with your doctor about medicines which help in weight loss.

Some prescription weight loss drugs are available. These however work only in the short term. There is no alternative in the long term to exercise and diet control.

Some of these drugs are:

Sibutramine (Meridia): works by suppressing your appetite.

Orlistat (Xenical): It works by reducing the absorption of fat from the intestines.

These two are the only drugs approved by FDA for long term use in weight loss.

You can read up here:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss-drugs/WT00013
http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/weight-loss-prescription-weight-loss-medicine

There are also various short term appetite suppressants which are available both on prescription and OTC.

Prescription appetite suppressants: Bontril (phendimetrazine tartrate), Desoxyn (methamphetamine) and Ionamin and Adipex-P (phentermine). Link

OTC drugs: Dexatrim, Accutrim. Link

You should discuss with your doctor about using these drugs. They all have various side effects and drawbacks, but might be the push that helps you gain your target weight loss.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.