Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

my motions are coming out black i have an ache in my stomach

my motions are coming out black i have an ache in my stomach is it anything to worry about
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--how long has this been going on and have you recently had an upper endoscopy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i noticed the change in colour of stools about 4 days ago i have had no endoscopy

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Albert. Yes this is definitely something worrisome and you need to contact your doctor right away. Black stools indicate an upper gastrointestinal bleed, usually from a peptic ulcer or from severe gastritis. The bleeding, if not controlled, can be severe and result in anemia and even can be life threatening. You need urgent upper endoscopy to determine the site of the bleeding and to take any action necessary to stop it if it hasn't stopped on its own.