Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have been referred to the local hospital urology dept as

Customer Question

I have been referred to the local hospital urology dept as I have swollen testicles, no pain though.
I have had a scan and the technician advise there was nothing there that shouldn't be but a lot of it !! but it is easily treated??
My GP is not sure why this is and how it has arisen, hence the referral
I am 70 in Dec 2014

Ian Dawson
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--how long has this been going on and just to be certain the scan actually showed your testicles were enlarged? It wasn't just fluid in your scrotum?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My wife first noticed them approx. 12 months ago, but being in no pain I did nothing about it - however on 21 march 2014 I had a hip replacement and the testicles got bigger to which I advised the nurse, who advised a doctor who examined me and suggested I consult my GP which was on the 11 April ( My Scan was on the14 May) - I thought it could be due to the medication they were giving me !

My Urology apt is on 5 June

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Ian but again--the scan actually showed the testicles were both swollen and this wasn't fluid in your scrotum? If it really was your testicles did they otherwise appear normal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The technician inferred it was fluid, I think he only scanned testicles and adjacent areas and the problem was nothing serious and was easily treated??

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Ian. Now I understand. This isn't actually a problem with both your testicles being swollen (and that would be a very unusual situation, especially with no pain). Most likely you have either a hydrocele--a sac of fluid that collects in the scrotum--or you may have an indirect inguinal hernia. The hydrocele can be drained with a needle but oftentimes they recollect and surgery might be needed. If it were a hernia that would require surgery to repair it. You need an MRI of the scrotum to better define what this is. Neither of these problems is serious and both of them are indeed easily treated
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure Ian--any time