Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My mother is 90 years of age. She had a slight stroke in 2010

My mother is 90 years of age. She had a slight stroke in 2010 which mainly affected her short term memory. She suffers from reflux. She has also been diagnosed with vascular dementia. She takes 30mg of Zoton for reflux, 75mg of aspirin and 10mg of cholestrol medication daily. Lately she has been suffering with excessive saliva and phlegm to the extent where she is almost constantly coughing and cannot eat without becoming congested. Any ideas as to what could be the cause of the phlegm/excessive saliva? The last time the doctor saw her she said that there was no evidence of a chest infection or that her lungs were congested.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Hasan :

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

Does she starts coughing just after she eats or drink?

Dr. Hasan :

Does she cough out phlegm or just spit it? What is the color of phlegm?

Customer:

No she is coughing regardless of whether or not she is eating. She has a constant runny nose and when I get her to cough up the phlegm it is a green colour.

Dr. Hasan :

Does she has headache?

Dr. Hasan :

Does she has hoarse voice?

Customer:

She isn't complaining of a headache but she is hoarse. I should add that this has been ongoing for quite a while. Could this be linked to her reflux problem?

Dr. Hasan :

Yes this can be.

Dr. Hasan :

Is she hoarse all the times or is that hoarseness worse in the morning?

Customer:

All of the time, although she is worse in the morning and later in the evening

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for your input.

Dr. Hasan :

In the presence of runny nose, the likely cause of the excessive phlegm can be infection of her sinuses.

Dr. Hasan :

The hoarse voice can be due to GERD or it can be due to sinus infection spreading to voice box.

Dr. Hasan :

In such cases sometimes just antibiotics don't work and one has to get the culture test of the secretions to get to the cause.

Dr. Hasan :

Don't worry I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations you can ask her to take OTC tab Claritin once daily along with Mucinex DM twice daily.

Dr. Hasan :

She must take steam inhalation with menthol drops twice daily.

Dr. Hasan :

You must take her to an ENT specialist and he can do the culture of her secretions to prescribe targeted antibiotics.

Dr. Hasan :

Moreover he must perform endoscopy to check for status of nose, sinuses and voice box.

Dr. Hasan :

But don't worry she can get rid of this if treated properly as advised.

Customer:

Thank you for the advice. I'll be bringing Mum to the doctor tomorrow and at least now I'll be able to ask informed questions. Good evening and than you Dr Hasan

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery