Dr. Das, MD
Dr. Das, MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, with wide experience in all aspects of medical treatment, including cancer therapy.
3452947

Hi, 2 weeks ago I woke up with redness on the eyelids. Also

Hi, 2 weeks ago I woke up with redness on the eyelids. Also I had red, raw-feeling and peeling skin around the lips. My doctor said it was possible eczema or fungal infection. I've applied a 2% miconazole cream followed by E45 cream on both areas. The lip area is no longer peeling but is still pink; the eyelids are still pink and the left one is now puffy. Please advise - it's so annoying!

DL
Expert:  Dr. Das, MD replied 3 years ago.

Welcome and thank you for the question.

Since the peeling has decreased with the Miconazole and E45, you probably did have a fungal infection. But the inflammation is still present.

Please apply a cold pack on the lips as well as the eyes. Then apply 1% Cortisone once daily for 3 days - this will decrease the inflammation. Please do not apply the Cortisone for more than 3 days.

You can also take Ibuprofen 200mg twice a day for 3 days. This should decrease the inflammation faster than earlier. if it does not, you will need to see your doctor again.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Dr Das. If the inflammation does not go down after 3 days of applying the Cortisone, how long after can I apply again for another 3 days?

1% Cortisone is a mild steroid, but it can still cause some amount of dryness of the skin. After applying it for 3 days, wait for at least 48 hours before applying it again. Continue to apply the E45.