Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

I had a detached retina last year and had surgery to reattach

Customer Question

I had a detached retina last year and had surgery to reattach the eye in April.
Recovery and surgery went well and my improvement in vision was "astounding" according to the consultant.
Over the last year I have not needed further treatment and have had no issues or medication needed.
I was hoping to do a bungee jump in November but my sister thinks, because I have previously had a detached retina, that I would be more susceptible to something going wrong and that I should not actually be undertaking sports like this.
Can you assist/advise?
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I am going to assist you with your question.

Well, there are few activities like - jogging, jumping rope, wild dancing, roller coasters, Bungee jumping which should be avoided up to one month after retinal detachment surgery.

Good to hear, that surgery went well, and you are healthy since last one year.

As it has been more than 1 year, so it should be safe to go for Bungee Jumping in November. You would be safe by this time, and may not get any problem from such jumping. The only risk is up to one month after surgery.

However, I would suggest, that you should discuss this issue with your eye specialist and then safely go for this act.

Good luck and take care.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.