DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I am asking this question on behalf of a friend. He suffers

I am asking this question on behalf of a friend.

He suffers from fibromyalgia and has managed to carry out part-time physical work with the aid of pain killers. His main painkiller was diclofenac (?) and consequently managed to earn a living wage.

His doctor has taken him off the diclofenac because it is believed it is likely to cause damage to his oesophagus which it was established was damaged when he had an endoscopy some months ago at the time he had a lung problem.

He is very concerned that he is unable to work without pain killers and wondered if there were any painkillers that would not cause further damage to his oesophagus. He has tried Oramorph liquid which has been very effective with pain relief and hopes that that may be OK with his oesophagus.

Two questions: Is Oramorph likely to cause further damage to his oesophagus?

Is there any effective pain relief for fibromyalgia that would not damage the oesophagus?

Many thanks.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JA

I am Doctor Thomas, double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine. I will start by asking you a question or by giving you an answer based on your information provided so far. I will be here to follow up with any further questions or concerns you might have.

Oramorph is not the indicated medicine.
It will simply be addicting in the long run.

Lyrica, Savella and Cymbalta are indicated meds.
They do not have the esophageal effects that diclofenac has.

Also realize that the treatment of this disorder requires a comprehensive approach, with medication, stress reduction, physical therapy, exercise and the correct diet.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are these medications available in the UK

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Lyrica yes
cymbalta, yes, duloxetine
Savella, no.