Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

I went to my GP today because Ive been struggling with anxiety

I went to my GP today because I've been struggling with anxiety and depression over the last number of years. I avoid social situations, regularly have panic attacks, struggle to sleep and feel as if I'm constantly on edge. My mood is usually low and I take little interest in doing things. I struggle to keep in contact with friends and family because of this. The only time I feel happy is after I've been drinking alcohol and I occasionally self harm. My GP gave me a leaflet with a number on it to ring about community support and counselling however, I was hoping for some sort of medication to also be prescribed so I could start feeling better soon. I'm just wondering do you think her advice is correct or should I seek a second opinion?
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Dr. Phil, MD :

please enter chat

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi I'm Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil, MD :

Can i ask your first name?

Customer:

Hi, it's Rosemary

Dr. Phil, MD :

Hi Rosemary

Dr. Phil, MD :

Nice to meet you

Dr. Phil, MD :

I'm sorry you are feeling so bad

Dr. Phil, MD :

Did the GP give you medicine?

Customer:

No, my GP just gave me a leaflet and told me to ring a number to talk some more with some one else and then maybe try counselling. I don't think this is the best advice seeing as I'm struggling now and don't want to wait weeks to try something that I could have looked into myself. Do you think I could benefit from some form of medication as well?

Dr. Phil, MD :

I completely agree

Dr. Phil, MD :

you absolutely need medication and counseling

Dr. Phil, MD :

both

Customer:

That's what I thought. Do you know whether she refused medication because doctors aren't keen to give out tablets to people with mental health problems or whether she possibly didn't think my case was severe enough?

Dr. Phil, MD :

I think probably the latter

Dr. Phil, MD :

plus maybe she isn't familiar with treating mental health problems

Dr. Phil, MD :

many GPs are not

Customer:

Do you think it would be a good idea to wait a month and see if I can sort out an appointment with a counsellor before I book another doctor's appointment, with a different doctor? In case the same thing happens again

Dr. Phil, MD :

No I wouldn't wait

Dr. Phil, MD :

it is not safe

Customer:

Okay, thank you for your advice you've been very helpful

I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)