Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

im on warfarin for life for 3 blood clots,im 40 and never

i'm on warfarin for life for 3 blood clots,i'm 40 and never smoked,ive been on warfarin for 10 years and regerally get my blood checked but I bought a machine just to keep an eye when I travel,i drink very rarly so ive just checked and the machine said 1.8 but I took my dosage last night of 6mg,so why is it so low,i did have a drink last night. do's alcohol thin or thicken the blood.many thanks
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 3 years ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Scroll down to see my messages. Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

what is your INR value in general?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Please type your response and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send your message so that we can chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i mean what is the value at which it usually shows since the warfarin?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello are you there? do you see my question?

Customer:

it's normally between 2/3,last blood test said 2.3,2 weeks ago

Dr. P. Jyoti :

yes that is the target range for warfarin, between 2 and 3

Dr. P. Jyoti :

your value at 1.8 is lower than the target

Dr. P. Jyoti :

there could be a number of reasons behind this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

the alcohol is not really implicated because we would expect the alcohol to raise the value rather than decrease it

Dr. P. Jyoti :

instead I think one possibility is that it was done on a machine, and machines are not so accurate

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it is best that you repeat the test in a lab

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this will give better results

Dr. P. Jyoti :

second is the time - did you do it at the same time as recommended?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

the third possibility is that the value really has lowered gradually and you need an increase of dose

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this also is quite possible

Dr. P. Jyoti :

so you need to discuss this with your doctor

Dr. P. Jyoti :

nothing to be alarmed about now, 1.8 is also a good value

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but you need to discuss with your doctor

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello are you there?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i see you are typing something, i am waiting for your response

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Customer:

my next test isn't due for another four weeks,im still quiet concerned,do's alcohol make taking warfarin dangerous for internal bleeding or such,i suffer with panic attacks and i'm quiet worried cos I drink once a month but still don't understand why its still low

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Nothing to get worried here

Dr. P. Jyoti :

alcohol may make you prone to internal bleeding only if your INR was too high, more than 4

Dr. P. Jyoti :

as you are having a low INR now, your risk isnt increased

Customer:

alcohol should higher it shouldn't it

Dr. P. Jyoti :

yes thats right with alcohol it should be higher

Dr. P. Jyoti :

as you are having low INR now do not worry, there is no risk of internal bleeding

Dr. P. Jyoti :

as i said, discuss this with your doctor

Dr. P. Jyoti :

your doctor may ask you to go for an early test since you had lower than target values

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hence you need to discuss with your doctor

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello are you therre?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I trust my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Bonus is always welcome - Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Customer:

it's my daughters 18th today aswell, do's that mean I cant drink alcohol and do I still take 6mg tonight

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you can take alcohol but not more than 2 servings

Dr. P. Jyoti :

also continue 6 mg tonight

Dr. P. Jyoti :

do not change the dose without discussing with your doctor

Customer:

its my daughters 18th birthday today so do's that mean I cant have a drink and do I still take 6mg tonight

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i have just answered your question

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i will copy paste again

Dr. P. Jyoti :

3:51 PM

also continue 6 mg tonight

3:51 PM

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello do you have any further questions?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

You now need to give a rating if the answer has satisfied you and you have no more questions.
We are paid only when a positive rating is given.