Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

What is the conversion for Lead (heavy metal) of 7.242 mcg/g

Customer Question

What is the conversion for Lead (heavy metal) of 7.242 mcg/g in ug/dL (with safest dose and out of range reference limit i.e levels given, for U.K population also given), as well as for mercury: 2.12mcg/g to be converted in ug/kg body weight/d for a 60kg person or in ug/d in a 60kg adult for all combined sources of mercury, mean and above range levels given for a UK population, and similar with rubidium 0.086 mcg/g mcg/g (which i believe in not toxic as similar to potassium). Please give all steps of each calculation to enable me to work it out for future reference and other metals. Please indicate which blood test would be best to determine heavy metal toxicity and why. Thanks

Please indicate how a total vegetarian, but with history of infection and antibiotics, would have high level of mercury? could it be due to flu jab which i have been told still has it.  Please include some reference articles from websites to help with topic and refer to later.

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.

Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

Hi Ill try to help. ug and mcg are the same. They both refer to micrograms

Dr. K. :

A kg is 1000 grams

Dr. K. :

You cannot convert micrograms per gram to micrograms per dl (deciliter)

Dr. K. :

grams is a weight of measure and dl is a weight of volume

Dr. K. :

You could do this if you knew what the lead was suspended in

Dr. K. :

1. 2.12 mcg/g is the same as 2.12 ug per gram . Multiplied by 1000 its 2120 micrograms per kilogram

Dr. K. :

Hope this helps

JACUSTOMER-e3mkp7eu- :

Sorry but i don't think you have answered my question, have you read it

Dr. K. :

I sure did. I did answer it above I am hoping you can read the entire response

JACUSTOMER-e3mkp7eu- :

in ug/deciliter

JACUSTOMER-e3mkp7eu- :

lead and mercury suspended in hair, as in hair analysis, but could do for blood too

JACUSTOMER-e3mkp7eu- :

Could you help further or would you like to pass the question to another expert

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Answer is inaccurate and totally incomplete. Will try 1 more expert.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 years ago.
I notice that you relisted the question.

The other expert is correct that you cannot convert mcg/g to mcg/dl. We use mcg/g when we are measuring a substance in a solid structure, such as in a hair analysis. We use mcg/dl when we are measuring a substance on a liquid, such as in blood. But there is no direct correlation between the two, as different substances are incorporated into hair (or other structures) at different rates.

If a lab were to report a substance measured in a liquid in mcg/g, then it could be converted to mcg/dl, but you would need to know (by measurement) the specific gravity of that liquid. One dl of water weighs 100 grams, by definition; that is, the definition of a gram is the weight (mass) of one ml of water and one kilogram is the weight (mass) of one liter of water. The specific gravity measures the relative density (mass per unit of volume) of a liquid compared to water, so a liquid with a specific gravity of 1.010 has a weight (mass) that is 1% greater than water.

So, if a lab measured a substance in a liquid that has a specific gravity of 1.000 and reports it as mcg/g, then the result would be multiplied by 100 to yield a result in mcg/dl. If the liquid has a specific gravity that is different than 1.000, then the result would be multiplied by 100 and divided by the specific gravity to yield a result that is mcg/dl.

As for your other questions, there is no single test to assess for heavy metal poisoning. There would need to be a separate measurement of each heavy metal. There also is not a sufficient amount of mercury (as thimerosal) in flu vaccines that would cause mercury poisoning. Multiple studies looking at the safety of flu vaccines have shown no health problems that may have arisen from the small amount of mercury in the flu vaccines.