Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

i have a bad coughs for the past days and cold as well. i have

i have a bad coughs for the past days and cold as well. i have been taking cough syrups and eferalgan for my cold. will these tablets reduce the effectiveness of my contraceptive pills. im on rigevidon
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

No, the over the counter cough syrups and the Efferalgan do not contain any ingredients that will interfere with hormonal contraceptive pills.

Taking a cough syrup along with the Efferalgan may cause excessive drowsiness. If the cough syrup contains paracetamol, then there should be caution to assure that the maximum daily amount of paracetamol is not exceeded. But they will not interfere with your birth control pills.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so is it the same for all cold tablets? i have been taking vitamin 2 tablet as well for my nose. and since it was not going Ive stopped efferalgon and started lempsip max.

None of the over the counter cough syrups or cold medicines will interfere with birth control pills.