Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I suspect I have gonorrhea but have not had any type of

I suspect I have gonorrhea but have not had any type of sexual activity since November with my wife who is entirely faithful. How could I have caught it?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.
We need to ascertain if this is Gonorrhea first.
Q. What are your symptoms?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had very smelly smegma about two months ago which I thought was really bad thrush, took canestan pill and it did not clear up at first. I then took another pill and used cream and it went. No return of any symptoms.
We had sex a week or so ago and she said on Tuesday she had thrush, took a pill and it did not go. Now she has used a pressary but again not going.
I forgot to say it was with her that I had sex in November so it cannot be her.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the reply.

This does not seem like Gonorrhea. The classic symptoms in men are burning urination, fever, increase in the frequency of urination. The discharge is yellow, white or green and is thick but not smelly and swollen and painful testis.
Women mostly are asymptomatic or have a similar discharge with pelvic pain.
There should be a strong positive history of having unprotected sexual intercourse with someone who is infected or whose infection status is unknown.
This might be a fungal infection and I suggest that you have a STD screening test done just ot be sure so that the appropriate anti fungals or if required, antibiotics are prescribed.
Hope this helps.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was thick and yellow but there was no discharge it was just around the head and the base of the head. It was very smelly. It was a really cold as well and I am ashamed to say I was so cold I did not change my underwear for weeks.
Could it be anything else? Is it the symptoms of any other std or is it more likely to be a fungal infection?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
This seems like a fungal infection more than a bacterial one since you do not have urethritis or fever. Other than that, you mentioned not changing under garments for a long time, which can promote the kind of environment fungi like to dwell in.
If the symptoms continue or get worse, then the best course of action will be to get an STD screen.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are there any stds for which these might be the symptoms? And why has she got symptoms of something now after we have just had sex? I am going out of my mind and I am now imagining tingling sensations in my penis and going to the bathroom a lot to pee as I have read about the symptoms
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
You need to relax.In reality, the only difference between an STD and a urinary tract infection is that STDs are urinary tract infections that are transmitted by sexual intercourse, so its not a very serious condition and can be treated rather effectively on medication. Since, you do not have a history of sexual intercourse outside of your marriage, it leaves little doubt that this is not an STD. However, this can be a sexually transmitted fungal infection that could have passed from your wife to you since women frequently can have fungal infections of the vagina without them being an STD. Or you could have passed on a fungal infection to her which you got due to lack of hygiene, as you mentioned.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. I do feel more relaxed but just want to check if this sounds like any symptoms of an std? Thank you so much for your help.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
STD is not confirmed on symptoms, it is confirmed on culture tests (the STD screen). These are symptoms of a urinary tract infection. Whether, it is an STD or not can only be confirmed on the screening test. However, since, you were not a part of any event that could cause an STD, it seems unlikely that you have an STD.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you but I am still worried. Can there be any circumstances in which an std can be transmitted without sex?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
I am here to answer your concerns.

No, there can not be. STDs can only be transmitted via sexual intercourse.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can these be the symptoms of any sexual disease?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
No, they can not be.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What if my wife has been unfaithful (which I highly doubt)? Please don't worry about the answer I just want to know.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
I'm sorry but that can not be judged on these symptoms. The first thing to do before asking your wife any questions or before thinking about her cheating on you is to get an STD screen.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. I am not going to confront her without an std screen but would just like to know if these are symptoms of anything
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
These symptoms do not confirm if your wife has in any way cheated on you.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know I am just asking medically could these be the symptoms of an std and if so which one?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
These could be symptoms of Candidiasis.
If you have more queries, reply back.
Best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is this an std? It looks like it is a form of thrush so is it solely sexually transmitted or can it be transmitted in another way? I was the one who started off with it so I am worried I gave it to her.

Incidentally, we have a history of passing thrush between us dating back years. I am quite susceptible to it since having it off a girlfriend in my early twenties.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Yes, that is possible. It can be transmitted sexually or and without it. Since, candida is a normal commensal of the vagina, whenever the environment of the vagina is disturbed it can cause an infection.
Vaginal secretions and "friendly" vaginal bacteria keep the fungus under control. Problems arise when the natural balance in the vagina is upset and Candida multiplies.

Vaginal thrush isn't an STI, but it can sometimes be passed on to men during sex. This means that if you have thrush, it's best to avoid having sex until you've completed a course of treatment and the infection has cleared up. Thrush can also be triggered by sex, and this is more likely if you have trouble relaxing and producing lubrication during intercourse.

I will appreciate if you leave a positive rating for the service.
Best.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But could it be the symptoms of any other std as well? Please don't worry about the answer.
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Highly unlikely. Although the symptoms can overlap sometimes. But no, unlikely.
Best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You have been so helpful I will definitely leave a positive rating. But one more question, what std's symptoms do these symptoms overlap with?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Chlamydia and Trichomoniasis.
Best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can these come about by anything other than sex?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 years ago.
Nope they can not. If you are trying to solve a case which leads to your wife of cheating or not cheating on you then I am sorry, this is not the kind of platform that will work. Sexually transmitted diseases are transmitted sexually, that is why they are called Sexually transmitted diseases. If what you or your wife has is a Sexually transmitted disease then it needs to be ascertained via a screening test and not on symptoms alone. For that you will need to see a physician or go to a laboratory.
Please leave a positive rating if you have found this helpful.