Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have been with my wife for 18 years. Neither of us is unfaithful.

I have been with my wife for 18 years. Neither of us is unfaithful. We have four kids. But we have passed thrush to each other time and time again which I got when I had a girlfriend aged 20. Could it be that we are passing something else to each other without knowing? Could it be chlamyidia or could it be trichonmoniasis?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
It is certainly possible that a monogamous couple could be passing a germ back and forth that was acquired prior to the monogamy, but the current thinking is that it is more likely that one of the partners has harboured the germ for that period of time.

With that understanding, it is possible that it could be any STD, as every STD can lie dormant for a long period of time. Of these two germs, the chlamydia is more often found when looking at which STDs are detected in people without symptoms, but any STD could be present.

This is why many couples entering into a monogamous relationship prefer to be checked for STDs to receive the best assurance that no germs are being brought into the relationship. We cannot check for all germs in both genders, but some people prefer to do what can be done.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can it be possible one or the other of us had this germ since then? And does having children show anything conclusive either way?
Yes, it is possible. Having children does not prove anything regarding whether the male could have harboured the germ for this length of time. Intuitively, it makes sense that a woman that has had unaffected children would be less likely to have harboured a germ for this length of time, but it also has not been studied.