Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have intermittent watery diarrhoea about 6 times a day, with

I have intermittent watery diarrhoea about 6 times a day, with slight nausea and bubbles rising up my throat. been happening for 5 months. also get bad backache and weakness generally. I am 63 and female. been prescribed omeprazole for last 10 weeks. home coeliac test negative. gastroscopy awaited October. leaving off omeprazole means problems recur within days. extremely deep register noisy bowel. I feel normal intermittently but the symptoms return regularly. most likely causes?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--has your doctor done any tests for this and are you saying that the omeprazole relieves the symptoms you describe?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my gp has sent me for an apt at hospital but I have to wait for the gastroscopy. I had faecal test for bugs and helicobactor. all negative. Ithe omeprazole lessens the noisy bowel and also the nausea. gp said she didn't want me to keep taking it unless really needed as I had had it for 10 weeks.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Verity. Two things here. For one, if the omeprazole helps you likely have a reflux problem but you may also have a peptic ulcer and the scope will look for that. You may also have irritable bowel syndrome and the gastroenterologist can evalute you for that. Celiac disorder is a thought here and it would take biopsies with the scope to look for that