The Physician
The Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Versatile emergency Physician, 20 years experience as a Physician
37289694

Hi Ive been prescribed 30 Dekristol 20000 unit. Got to take

Hi I've been prescribed 30 Dekristol 20000 unit. Got to take one a day. After that I will have a lower dose put in my dos sett box. I been told I've got a vitamin d definiciency and something to do with calcium. Can you tell me how low this definiciency is and is. It serious
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.

The Physician :

The Physician :

Welcome to JA

The Physician :

I will be happy to answer your question, but you must provide me with some information.

The Physician :

What were your symptoms?

The Physician :

Our body uses vitamin D as one important factor to drive calcium in and out of the framework of the bone, this is important in keeping the bone strong and also during repair from wear and tear of daily movements.

The Physician :

Our body derives the active form of Vitamin D, by the exposure of our skin to sunlight.

The Physician :

Nowadays we hardly get enough sunlight.

The Physician :

As we get older, our calcium stores are also diminishing

The Physician :

So the lack of adequate exposure to sunlightwe may sometimes lack Vitamin D

The Physician :

we may get some Vit D ad calcium from our diet, but this often is hardly enough

Customer: I had an X-ray done on my neck a while ago the doctor described it has being in a cave with the pointy things going up and down and nothing in. The middle.
Customer: i then had a blood test and it then came back as I said
The Physician :

it means you may have one of the complications of Vit D and calcium deficiency

The Physician :

Osteoporosis.

The Physician :

Your bone dont have enough /cement' (calcium0 built in it, due to lack of Vitamin D

The Physician :

It lacks enough 'cement' which is provided by calcium, which in turn is facilitated by Vit D

The Physician :

That is the connection.

The Physician :

So if you replace Vit D, it will help drive in the calcium back into the bone (cement it)

The Physician :

To make it strong again

Customer: is this too much dekristol to be taking as my friend whose a nurse says it can cause heartattact
The Physician :

So Dekrisrtol (Cholecaciferol) dose is 20000 units in a capsule

The Physician :

that is good enough

The Physician :

It is not too much

Customer: daily for 30 days
The Physician :

It has side effects. But doctors use what is called RISK: BENEFIT analysis to prescribe medications.

The Physician :

The benefit that you will derive FAR outweigh the risks of heart palpitations (not Heart attack)

The Physician :

So I think your physician made the right call.

Customer: thankyou
The Physician :

The Physician :

Is there any other concerns that you may have?

The Physician :

If not now, let me know aytime

The Physician :

Thanks for choosing our services

Customer: no I just wondered as I take. Quite a few other pills.
The Physician :

Generally

The Physician :

There are few interactions with other medications, but i believe, like all of do, that your physicians would have crosschecked.

The Physician :

If you want you could write a list of the medications you take and we could cross check them for you.

The Physician :

Remember our services cannot replace that of your physician who knows you physically and have information that we are not privy to. We can only offer general FACTUAL advise

Customer: He is good I just didn't expect to have another pill thing. Mirtazapine. Omeprazole. Carbamazepine. Carbocisteine Zappine. Diazepam Montelukast. Fluoxetine. Indapamide. Zopiclone. Ramipril. Diclofenac Several eye drops. Several inhalers.
The Physician :

an additional information for you

The Physician :

The dose you were prescribed is at the high point of the recommendation, if you are taking ALL these drugs.

The Physician :

I am not sure how SEVERE the ostoeporosis and the deficiency is that made your physician give you this loading dose especially with the number of medications you are on.

The Physician :

Most of these medications are metabolized in the liver, so it IS NOT MUCH OF INTERACTION, but the strain on the liver.

The Physician :

So I will advise you go back and ask the doctor to review the dosage.

The Physician :

20000 twice weekly

The Physician :

That is more reasonable

The Physician :

Hewever, the severity of your osteoporosis or osteopenia AND your calcium level may have contributed to his decision.

The Physician :

We have at least offered you an advise to ask him questions with an informed knowledge

Customer: Did check and he said its right. I've just got the list from the dos sett box some times I do take an extra three zapain because it's so bad. When I had bloods done it came back with high white cells kidney was ok but he mentioned something about the liver so I have too have blood repeats in 3months . But what he's given me is daily dose 20000 unit.
Customer: Thank you for your help
The Physician :

My advise is that because of what we know as the effect of Dekristol on the liver. It is used with caution in persons taking MANY tablets

The Physician :

So lethim pursue the liver test, but also review the DOSAGE

The Physician :

Customer: good bye and thanks again
The Physician :

Bye

The Physician, Doctor
Experience: Versatile emergency Physician, 20 years experience as a Physician