Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Bowel cancer/burst piles? I am not alarmed but....I have

Customer Question

Bowel cancer/burst piles?

I am not alarmed but....I have had bleeding into the loo for the last week, nevertheless, I am still regular/normal and I do not feel unwell at all. The blood is light in colour. I do not have external piles.

I have recently changed my diet - in so much as I have cut down on my intake of bread and I am substituting it with a couple of pieces of fruit, twice a day.

Any thoughts as to what I should look for/do?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.

When addressing blood in the stool, the most common cause are haemorrhoids (piles) or anal fissures, which are two common problems that can be quite irritating, but are not as serious a problem. Obviously, if no external haemorrhoid is apparent, it is an internal haemorrhoid that can present with bleeding. However, there is also concern that there could be a more serious problem present, including colon cancer, polyps (which may be a type that is a precursor to cancer), or inflammatory bowel disease. There are also other causes of bleeding that would only be serious if there is a large amount of bleeding, such as from diverticula or abnormal vascular growths.

The risk for colon cancer becomes greater with age, particularly increasing after age 50. There still are people that present with colon cancer at age 48, so we would not exclude the possibility based solely on your age, but it is less likely.

Since there are potentially serious problems that can cause such bleeding, it is recommended that anyone that has blood in the stool should be seen and evaluated to determine the cause of the bleeding. Until you can be seen, it is reasonable to use an over the counter medicine for haemorrhoids, which also may help ease an anal fissure.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.