Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

a friend who has developed Turrettes before Christmas was referred

a friend who has developed Turrettes before Christmas was referred to a consultant who did not specialise in that disorder. She has now moved to another part of the country, but before she did her GP called her back to tell her that her white cell count was 2.2 and referred her to the local hospital where she now lives. She went to A/E as directed but the Dr who saw her just sent her home. Her neurological condition has deteriorated rapidly to the extent that she is falling off her chair, is embarrassed to eat in others' company. She is in her 20s, a lesbian rejected by her family. My big fear is that she will "fall between 2 stools" and not get the treatment she obviously needs for both conditions so what would be the best plan of action and what are the complications of a low lymphocyte reading?
Sally
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Do you have the full report of the white blood count, which should include several different types of white blood cells, not just the lymphocytes?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry, the only info given was "white blood cells". The GP thought that she was referring this girl for admission for a few days investigatory work, but as I said she was sent home. Sounds like a junior dr.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hope you had my response earlier.

Sally

It is difficult to be specific without all the data, as the level of risk would be dependent upon the level of each type of white blood cell.

At this point, it would be appropriate to be seen by a consultant for an evaluation for the white blood count, a Haematologist. The first step is usually to simply repeat the blood count, as the most common cause of a low white blood count is an acute infection, and the white blood count may be better when it is rechecked. If it is persistently low, then the consultant will perform other testing, such as looking for inflammatory conditions or bone marrow conditions that can lower the white blood count.

The primary potential complication of a low white blood count would be an increased risk of infection. The nature of the risk would be related to the level of each white blood cell, but it is reasonable to take appropriate precautions to avoid infection until she is seen by the specialist, including careful hand hygiene and avoidance of people or locations at which she may be exposed to germs.

She can contact her previous GP to ask for a referral to a Haematologist in her new location.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.