Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I am developing a series of warts on my back, some itch. I

Customer Question

I am developing a series of warts on my back, some itch. I am 75, but this has only been a recent problem. Can you get rid of them?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
Hello from JustAnswer. I will be glad to assist you today.

Yes, it is possible to get rid of warts. The over the counter methods are not as effective as what can be done by a doctor, but it is possible to get rid of warts.

Warts are caused by a viral infection of the skin and getting rid of the warts involves destruction of the tissue infected by the virus. This can be done by a variety of methods - chemical or acid burns, freezing, electrocautery, laser, etc. We typically try simple methods first and I prefer to use a freezing method.

There is an over the counter freezing method which works for many people, which is a reasonable first step. If the over the counter method works, then there is no need to see your doctor. But if the over the counter method is ineffective, it would be appropriate to see your doctor for a more aggressive treatment.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.