Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Hi, I have been wearing my back for several years.

Customer Question

Hi, I have been wearing my foreskin back for several years. It mainly just stays back now. Is there an issue doing this, should I try keep it forward or should I opt for circumcision?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.

Dr. K. :

Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.

Dr. K. :

Hi there Its not a problem as long as it can be pulled forward and does not constrict the glans of the penis

Dr. K. :

Some studies show that lack of a foreskin causes the glans to become less sensitive over time.

Dr. K. :

That may be a reason to have it covering the glans when you are wearing clothes

JACUSTOMER-tc0or3e2- :

I can pull it forward but need to get really get all foreskin as now its trained to stay back

Dr. K. :

Then its fine with the exception of what i wrote above

JACUSTOMER-tc0or3e2- :

So you think I should try pull it forward again. I like the feeling of glans exposed though

Dr. K. :

Theres no medical reason you cannot keep doing it

JACUSTOMER-tc0or3e2- :

Do I not need a circumcision

Dr. K. :

It can lead to sensitivity loss over time

Dr. K. :

No

Dr. K. :

circumcision is done for infections, and for cosmetic reasons for personal choice

Dr. K. :

So its really your choice

JACUSTOMER-tc0or3e2- :

So its better to have a foreskin. Why do so many get circumcised if its better not to be

Dr. K. :

Its a social custom with no medical basis behind it

JACUSTOMER-tc0or3e2- :

Ok but if my foreskin is back and has been for about 6 years would I lose more sensitivity being circumcised

Dr. K. :

No you would not

JACUSTOMER-tc0or3e2- :

Ok and i heard it reduces std and hiv chances

Dr. K. :

Yes it can reduce hiv and herpes

JACUSTOMER-tc0or3e2- :

So then it is better to be circumcised

Dr. K. :

No its really not. The majority of the world is not

JACUSTOMER-tc0or3e2- :

Ok so what you saying is i should train foreskin to go back over glans

JACUSTOMER-tc0or3e2- :

And risk hiv and herpes

Dr. K. :

No, It is your personal preference

Dr. K. :

Theres no medical reason either way.

Dr. K. :

The protection against stds is small. Obviously condom use is a better protection.

JACUSTOMER-tc0or3e2- :

Ok. So if i chose circumcision is laser circumcision a good option

Dr. K. :

Circumcision is a personal choice. If you feel that a small increase in protection from stds is worth it, then be circumcised. The way in which it is done is not important , its not a difficult procedure. Cosmetic results are good with either method

Dr. K. :

Recovery with laser may be easier

JACUSTOMER-tc0or3e2- :

Ok but yr recommendation is to pull foreskin forward again

Dr. K. :

No its not

Dr. K. :

As I told you its your personal preference

Dr. K. :

As long as it goes back and forth there is no medical reason why you cant keep doing what you are doing

JACUSTOMER-tc0or3e2- :

Ok but you said its better not to be circumcised

Dr. K. :

No I did not. I did give you the pros and cons of each.

JACUSTOMER-tc0or3e2- :

Ok thanks. How long does it take to recover from a circumcision

Dr. K. :

A few weeks totally but in a few days you will be feeling pretty good

JACUSTOMER-tc0or3e2- :

And is it abnormal to keep foreskin back

Dr. K. :
  1. Well its not done much but I would not call it abnormal at all
JACUSTOMER-tc0or3e2- :

Ok thanks ill have to decide if worth it to get the snip

Dr. K. :

Good luck!

Dr. K. :

Thanks for coming to JA

Dr. K. :

Please consider a positive rating before you leave and come back any time you need more help