Dr. K.
Dr. K., Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified with experience in primary care.
65718478

Hey. I take citalopram for general anxiety and depression.

Customer Question

Hey. I take citalopram for general anxiety and depression. Dr also put me on propranolol three times a day. Felt great. Came off propranolol about three weeks ago. Anxiety is spiking at moment as wife away for a month. Can I go back on propranolol for periods if higher anxiety
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 3 years ago.

Dr. K. :

Propanolol blocks your somatic symptoms of anxiety, meaning your body's physical response. It does this by blocking epinephrine and norepinephrine. It blocks your "fight or flight" response, in a simple way of explaining it. It would be fine to go back on it under your Drs supervision. But it is not wise to go on and off it repeatedly. It is also not wise or useful to take it sporadically.

Dr. K. :

I hope this helps to answer your question.