Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  GP in the United States
55099014

Originally I was told I had a bakers cyst behind my right

Originally I was told I had a bakers cyst behind my right knee some months ago, no treatment apart from pain killers were given. The swelling has gone from behind the knee but now my whole knee has swelled and painful. I also have throbbing sensations mostly in my right calf. Five days ago my right ankle swelled but only for two days. I visited a private doctor while here on holiday in Spain and she gave me Daflon 500g. She also put me on Trankimazin as I have been having trouble sleeping also because for the first time in my life I have become very tearful! loss of energy and loss of appetite. I am 60 and a full time carer.
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 years ago.
Hello. I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing internist. Excellent service is my goal.

Thanks for this question

how did they diagnose the baker's cyst?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
By physically examining my leg and pressing the back of the knee.
Okay thanks Vivien.

It could be correct but there could be something else going on here

sometimes blood clots are misdiagnosed as cysts and a cyst shouldn't cause swelling in the ankle.

I recommend you have this checked immediately

you need an ultrasound of the leg to rule out blood clot
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As I am in Spain with a disabled husband would it be better to fly straight home in order to get help with looking after him.
No, it's not safe to fly with a potential clot

you have to go there Vivien

I'm very sorry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am going to the medical centre first thing tomorrow, could it be possible that the fluid from the cyst is what is causing my swollen and painful knee, or do you think it could be something more serious, as I would have to make a lot of arrangements for my disabled husband as we are alone here in our house in Spain until 19th June.
If the cyst is huge I suppose it is possible but there is no way to know for sure without some additional testing
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I appreciate the excellent rating.

I would be happy to help you in the future. Just ask for feedback. Thank you. :) Dr. Phil in your question opening or bookmark this page http://www.justanswer.co.uk/medical/expert-irondoc/

I greatly appreciate a positive rating in the customer satisfaction survey that you will receive via email. It is important for me to get your feedback. Thank you. :)