Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

Hi, my daughter has been suffering for years with fluid build

Customer Question

Hi, my daughter has been suffering for years with fluid build up around her body after she has eaten, this can be slight to very painful and the fluid build up seems to get worse after eating beans or anything high in protein, the doctors have past it off as an eating disorder and have only ever made things worse, she finds it hard to eat due to the fluid build up and as a result her weight keeps dropping, but her blood test results always come back OK even when she is extremely low in weight is there anything elts that i can suggest to them to checkout to get to the bottom of this, Regards XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--do you know what tests and procedures she's had so far?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They just put her on a feed tube to get her up to weight and check her blood, the blood comes back ok and even with the swelling they just keep going with the feed tube until she's uptown weight and then the send her on her way with a diet plan, they NEVER check that she can do or is doing the plan until she ends up back in and then it starts all over again.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Danni. I don't know what's been checked but here are my suggestions. Thyroid, cortisol levels, estrogen, progesterone and testosterone levels, screening for celiac disorder, pancreatic insufficiency, and irritable bowel syndrome. I can't give you just one diagnosis for the problem, but those are all areas I would look at.