Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a very dry mouth every night/morning during sleep and

I have a very dry mouth every night/morning during sleep and noticed when I wake up . This is a faily recent matter that has become noticeable more and more to me. Can anyone explain.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.
There are actually a couple of common possible reasons for this.
It will help if you could provide some further information.
Are you having any other symptoms with this?
Are you taking any chronic medicines?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had gastric bypass 3 years ago and take OXYTETRACYCLINE and Folic Acid tablets and have B12 jab 3 monthly. I must admit i dont take every day as i should. Other than that no other tablets.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was told after a scan I have a non alcoholic fatty liver about 10 years ago, maybe longer, but nothing was done about it. I did have gout for years which really got bad. But when I had the bypass the gout went. I have the odd stiffness in my big toe, but nothing like it used to be and i dont take anything for the gout now at all.

Thank you for the additional information.

There are two common problems that can present with a dry mouth during the night.

Allergies can frequently get worse at night because many people are allergic to internal allergens to which they are more exposed when asleep. In particular, dust mites are a common cause of allergies and people that are allergic to dust mites frequently get worse symptoms when in bed because the dust mites permeate the mattress, pillows, and bed linens. Even if you were to wash the bed linens daily, it would be impossible to avoid the dust mites. However, most people that get allergy exacerbations when in bed will notice other symptoms, primarily nasal congestion or cough. In fact, it is the nasal congestion that indirectly causes the dry mouth, because the nasal congestion causes increased mouth breathing that dries the mouth.

Acid reflux is the other common cause of a dry mouth at night. Acid reflux, also called gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), occurs when the acidic stomach contents enter the oesophagus, and can travel up to the throat and mouth or enter the lungs. GERD frequently gets worse when lying down because of the loss of gravity helping to keep the stomach contents from entering the oesophagus. Many people with GERD will have heartburn, but some people with GERD do not get heartburn and present with only symptoms of the mouth, throat, or lungs.

There also are certain conditions that affect saliva production that can cause a dry mouth, but this will usually cause symptoms throughout the day unless there is also one of the above problems that commonly get worse at night.

Since you do not notice any nasal congestion or other allergy symptoms, it is more worrisome that this is related to acid reflux. Ultimately, it would require a proper evaluation to make a definitive diagnosis, but another option would be to try one of the over the counter medicines to suppress stomach acid to see if the symptoms improve. There are several medicines available over the counter, including Zantac, Prilosec, or Prevacid.

If I can provide any further information, please let me know.