Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My 6yr 11 month old son, has had blood in his for 8 days,

My 6yr 11 month old son, has had blood in his urine for 8 days, he also has protein. GP put on course of antibiotics and if not cleared up go back. Never cleared up so went back and he has now sent urine away to pathology. The sample was after his first morning urine, he had to push a little out for the sample.
I am worried. In the mornings my sons urine is relatively clear looking but still showing positive for blood/protein on dipstick. However during the day and evening you can clearly see pink/red/browny blood in the urine and the dipstick test shows more blood/urine results, the worse positive test result is his last urine of the day before bed.
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

He certainly does need to have a 24 hour urinary protein level done along with urine for microscopy and cytology.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

I would also like that he should have an ultrasound of the abdomen to have a look at his kidneys because sometimes stones in the kidneys or the urinary tract can be painless and can cause blood and protein to appear in the urine.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Another possibility among a list of possibilities is glomerulonephritis which is something that can cause blood and protein in the urine and this is diagnosed definitively by a biopsy of the kidney.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Ultrasound of the renal tract i.e. the kidney, ureter, bladder will also rule out any mass or tumor that may be causing this to happen.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

He does need to be referred to a nephrologist or a urologist for further evaluation of his condition.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have more questions.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Rate me for my services when you are done asking.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Kindest Regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

I have answered your question above. Let me know if you have any further questions. Rate me for my services when you are done.
Kindest Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He also has developed a rash around his neck and upper chest. He has no pain whatsoever and is well in himself. He also has ADHD and has been taking Strattera for around 8 weeks, before this he was taking Medikinet, but this medication didn't agree with him.

He also has Humatrope Growth Hormone injections daily for growth delay. He has been on growth hormone for over two years with no problems, but recently has been complaining that the injection is hurting him.

I'm worried sick.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.
One of the possibilities is HS purpura which is something that is very common in children and usually goes away on its own in about two to four weeks.
However having said that he should be seen for this to confirm the diagnosis.
He should also have a renal function test i.e. urea and creatinine done.
The best doctor for him would be a paediatric nephrologist.
Let me know if you have more questions.
Rate me for my services when you are done.
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Doctor of Medicine