Dr. Robert
Dr. Robert, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Hi 7 days ago I was passing blood while having a bowel movement

Customer Question

Hi 7 days ago I was passing blood while having a bowel movement with bad cramps this lasted for about 3htrs I was fine after that but the same is happening today again for the last 5 hrs
Expert:  Dr. Robert replied 3 years ago.
Dear customer

Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions .First I need a little more information-

Do you have diarrhea/loose stools along with blood in bowel movement 7 days ago?
Was the color of blood was fresh red?
Do you have history of constipation?
Is there any lump/swelling in anus?

I am waiting for your reply..
Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Loose stools and fresh blood sometimes constipation and feel I sont empty my bowels

Dear customer,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

The condition having fresh red colored blood in stool is called hematochezia.

Generally, the closer the bleeding site is to the anus, the blood will be a brighter red. This blood is coming from lower gastro intestinal tract.

Its most common causes are: hemorrhoids,anal fissures,diverticular bleeding,intestinal infection (such as bacterial enterocolitis),inflammatory bowel disease, ulcerative collitis,crohn's disease.

Hemorrhoids or intestinal infection can be the most probable cause but final diagnosis can only be made after examination & tests.

You need following tests:

-Stool examination,
-Ultrasound of lower abdomen,
-Rectal examination
-Anoscopy & colonoscopy.

This blood in stool is not an emergency & there does not seem to be anything serious.

Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical examination..So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for tests to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert