DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

I have knee pain in both knees and also a lump on the side

I have knee pain in both knees and also a lump on the side of each knee - symmetrically the same on both knees. What do they think it is and should I be concerned about the two lumps
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.

I am Doctor Thomas, double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine. I will start by asking you a question or by giving you an answer based on your information provided so far. I will be here to follow up with any further questions or concerns you might have.

It is most likely arthritis, and lumps are typical in osteoarthritis and in gout.
Also in rheumatoid arthritis, not as commonly with just the knees.

You need an exam and x ray to narrow this down.

Correct physical therapy is a must.

Yes you should be concerned about future possible damage if you do not get treated.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I have had gout in the past - why are the lumps so symmetrical. Its not anything more serious is it?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
In fact symmetrical means it is probably not a tumor.

It can imply rheumatoid arthritis.