DrRussMD
DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.
24257177

My son has suffered from bowel disease since he was an adolescent

My son has suffered from bowel disease since he was an adolescent variously diagnosed as ulcerative colitis, pan colitis and inflammatory bowel disease. He is permanently exhausted, suffers from swollen glands and pains in his arms and legs and huge black circles under his eyes. He finds it difficult to eat and is usually sick every morning when he gets up. His specialist was a surgeon, however his condition has not created a situation where he has has to receive surgical interventions. He has been subjected to a battery of colonoscopies, endoscopies and dye-based exploration which have come up with nothing. The surgeon has effectively washed his hands and said he can find nothing. My son has effectively no life because he feels so unwell - would an endocrinologist be the next step?
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Experts.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
No, he needs a gastroenterologist.
IBS can not be confused with ulcerative colitis, which is confirmed by biopsy on colonoscopy....was this confirmed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He has had several colonoscopies. The earlier of which found flat brown ulcers. He used to bleed very badly when he had an attack and would quickly lose huge amounts of weight. He has been plagued by frequent large mouth ulcers as well. Later colonoscopies found no ulcers a d the surgeon told him it was " probably his diet". He didn't check what that diet is: in fact my son eats a very healthy diet and doesn't drink alcohol. His health is terrible and the chronic exhaustion and muscle pain and pain behind his eyes is debilitating. Gastro- enterology has been no help at all . He has no life and he is only 27. Where can e go next?
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Where there any ever any positive biopsies for ulcerative colitis
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He was diagnosed with pan colitis but hAd ulcerative colitis written on sick lines for university Sorry I can't be more definitive
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
Ulcerative colitis needs definitive treatment and colonoscopies life long, as it can turn into cancer.
Is there any bowel disease in the family?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes his father has just had a cancerous polyp removed from his bowel and other paternal relatives have bowel issues. I'm adopted so ha e no idea
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 3 years ago.
OK
A good GI doctor.

However, he might also try a doctor with functional medicine training.
Bowel health is a keystone of this training.

They can be found here
www.functionalmedicine.org

find an internal medicine, GI or family practice doc on the find a practitioner list.

You also need to get a definitive diagnosis.

If it is UC, it needs the proper medication until he is in remission, then preventatives can be undertaken.

If it is UC and not treated and monitored, he is at risk for colon cancer.

He must be checked for gluten disease, bowel overgrowth, imbalances in the colon, etc...which functional medicine doctors all do.

Use reply to let me know if you have further questions [click reply to expert].
Please do not forget a positive rating [hopefully you will click an excellent; or come back to ask me more as needed].

DrRussMD, Board Certified MD
Experience: Board certified Internal medicine and Integrative medicine. Many years of experience all areas.