Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I went to the Dr yesterday and he diagnosed me with shingles.

I went to the Dr yesterday and he diagnosed me with shingles. I have a rash on my right buttock which comes from the crease in my bottom. I have piles and the dr. said they stem from there. Because the rash appeared on Friday, today is Wednesday, there is nothing he can give me for it.

I really have been feeling run down, but I am concerned about being contagious, I am 75 and obviously mix with a lot of elderly people. I looked this up on the computer and couldn't get any satisfactory answer but are now concerned because I have found something which sounds more like my condition - it mentions necrolytic migratory erytheme, and pancreataic tumour/glucagonoma!

Do I go back to my doctor, I don't like bothering him, also I am due to go away this weekend on a course to Denman College (WI) should I go or cancel. I would like to go but want to do what is right.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Since shingles have a distinctive look and one can fell a lack of energy when they appear, can I ask what else is going on that makes you worried about the two diseases you mentioned?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The other two things I mentioned are because I found them on the computer and they seem much more relevant to my problem. I am constipated and have been taking lactulose since Saturday and although I am passing motions, they are like bullets and it hurts me when I want to go. I have been feeling dizzy, itchy, headachy, listless but nothing to a startling degree it is just good to know I might only have shingles. But could the other words I use be more relevant to me?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Sheila. Did your doctor do any testing to see what might be the problem here besides the shingles?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Sheila, just one last question--can you describe the rash?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As it is on the buttock it is pretty hard for me to get a good view, it does look like a shingles rash and come out to the crease with some hard spots which is with the piles, the Dr. said that is why I thought it was a pile problem and then extends across about two hand widths. I can feel that therre are little spots on them.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Sheila--and we can continue after this if you'd like. As I said, shingles is very distinctive and it really doesn't resemble necrolytic migratory erythema. Since I don't think you have NME there's no reason to consider a glucagonoma. While shingles alone could explain your symptoms, I would check your thyroid function since this could be a low thyroid problem
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. So am OK to go away on this course and mix with other elderly women, is it contagious.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Sorry--forgot about that part. So long as you don't touch or be touched by others there's no problem and once the shingles begin crusting over you won't any longer be contagious. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you Sheila