Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
13711182

Hello, Im 23 years old. I have regular periods every 25-27.

Customer Question

Hello, Im 23 years old.
I have regular periods every 25-27. They last for 5 days ALWAYS. My last period was 7 days late and when it finally came it was lighter than usual and only lasted 3 days, stopped a day, then i had brown spotting for 2 days. Its now 4 days later and i am cramping like a period and my skin is breaking out (just like it does before a period) I took a Pregnancy test the day before my period came (as it was late) This was negative. I dont think my period was ovulation bleeding. I dont have pregnancy symptoms other than, bigger breasts, headaches, backache and hunger. Any Help?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Hi there. Thank you for your question. I will be helping you out with your queries

Dr. Shahzad MD :

The symptoms that you are having are most likely due to hormonal disturbances that ladies can have quite commonly.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

This can even happen due to excessive stress, either physical or emotional.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

It can happen due to a variety of other causes such as deranged thyroid hormone levels, deranged prolactin hormone levels, pregnancy (which has been ruled out in your case), to name a few common causes.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

If the irregularity in your periods persist I would recommend that you should contact your gynecologist or your GP for further evaluation of your condition and to perform tests for the above mentioned conditions which would be in the form of blood tests and you may also require an ultrasound of your pelvis to have a look at your uterus and your ovaries to make sure they are okay.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

So all in all it seems nothing serious or anything to worry about however with persistent symptoms I would still like to investigate to be sure.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Let me know if you have more questions.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Rate me for my services by clicking on one of the smilies below when you are done asking.

Dr. Shahzad MD :

Kindest Regards

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 2 years ago.

I have answered your question above. Let me know if you have any further questions. Rate me for my services when you are done.
Kindest Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Basically said its nothing and if it continues to go to the doctor. I didn't pay £19 for "if it continues go to your doctor"
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.

Most women miss a period occasionally. Even though your periods have always been regular, as time goes by you're bound to miss a period occasionally. The reason is that it's regular ovulation that causes regular periods, and most women miss their ovulation occasionally.

When a woman does miss ovulation, her hormones may get a little out of whack, due to continued stimulation of the ovaries. That can lead to various changes, including skin breaking out, breast enlargement, and headaches.

As Dr. Shahzad mentioned, the reason for not ovulating is often stress, but it may be anything that throws your system off, including big changes, illness, and other things.

So assuming that your health is otherwise good, I don't think you need to do anything other than wait to see if your periods become regular again. There's a good chance that they will. You can expect to miss an occasional period in the future. It's a normal part of being a women. Best wishes.
Dr. Norm S., Doctor
Experience: Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice.
Thank you for your payment and rating.