Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

hi im worried about my throat it all started 4 months ago with

hi im worried about my throat it all started 4 months ago with sinus probs then I got a sore throat a week later I totally lost my voice . ive to see gp several times in those 4 months they said virus most likely . its really weird I feels like my glans either side of my throat are painful and swollen on and off only last a day then ok again , its itchy then it seems like im clearing my throat every now and then . 8i don't have constant pain in my throat . but it keeps flaring up its a weird sensation carnt describe it its where my thyroid is at bottom of throat. ive had several different blood counts tests done they are all normal . gp seems to think its my thyroid but im really not satisfied with that . finally after going to gp with it gp has reffered me to ent department
so they can look down my throat . but gp says it wont be anything to worry about as all my blood counts are normal I have regular bloods tests done due to thyroid showing up underactive 3 times a year . when my throat flares up I cant feel it in my ear . ive also got hissing in my ear. im not sure that's got anything to do with my throat . im just waiting for appointment to come through can you put my mind as ease please many thanks
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am an ENT specialist and can help you. I need some info before I answer.

Do you still have hoarse voice? If yes is this worse in evening or in morning?
Do you still have sinus symptoms like nasal obstruction, nasal discharge, fluid trickling in throat etc?
Do you have hissing in one ear or both?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

horse voice not ver often but when I do get horse its in morning I do get trickling of fluid down my throat it makes me gag sometimes . ive not really noticed if hissing in one ear or both it sounds like both I guess I do get nasal discharge on and off sometimes thick and sometimes yellow greenish but its not like that longer than a day maybe 2 or 3 at most . im just so worried

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am really sorry to hear about your problem. As per symptoms the likely cause of your symptoms is lingering sinus infection. A sinus infection can infect the voice box also to cause hoarse voice. Sinus infection can involve the ear tube present behind the nose so infection anywhere in ear, nose or throat can affect each other. Your thyroid is not the likely cause of any of these symptoms because under or over active thyroid can never cause such symptoms. There is one quite likely possible cause of your hoarse voice and that is acid reflux from your stomach. Hoarse voice which is worse in morning is very commonly caused by acid reflux from stomach. I know you are stressed about serious issues like cancer but I assure you that you don't need to stress yourself. Cancer is not at all possible with your symptoms because;

1. In case of cancer voice has to be hoarse all the times. The voice get better and then worse can never be due to cancer or anything serious.
2. Lymph nodes in case of cancer are never painful. Painful lymph nodes just means infection.
3. Your duration of symptoms is quite short to suspect cancer.

So to conclude I reassure you with 100% confidence that you don't need to worry at all. Just wait for your appointment and see your ENT without any worries. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so you don't think I need a course of antibiotics to help clear sinus infection up . or should I just wait when appointment comes through from ent. will they be able to detect if its a sinus infection causing problems. I know they will be able to detect a inner ear infection.i do get dizziness aswell would sinus problems cause this aswell if it effects the ear . thank you so much for easing my mind I can stop stressing now ty

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
You are most welcome. Yes you do need antibiotics to clear up the infection. You can ask your GP about that. Yes inner ear can gets secondarily infected due to sinus infection. Don't worry once treated, you will be perfectly fine. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do suffer from acid reflux aswell ive been given lamparazole 30mg to take I only take them when my acid reflux flares up maybe I should take them every day to keep it at under control. so acid reflux could also be another factor causing my throat problems . I will ask gp about antibiotics but gp will be very reluctant to give them to me as ive been to see them about my throat not my sinusus but I will ask . I don't think I will get them thou once again many thanks

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your input. Yes definitely you should ask your GP for antibiotics. Yes you should take your acid reflux medicine regularly and you will feel improvement after you start taking it regularly. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
HI, I was concerned so I thought I should ask that how are you feeling now? Is there anything I can help you with? Regards