Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have unexplained shortness of breath, I get it whilst talking

I have unexplained shortness of breath, I get it whilst talking and eating, what could this be?
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Since how long you have this? How severe is the shortness of breath? How long it lasts? Do you have any change in voice or difficulty in swallowing? Which specialist you have seen and which tests have been done so far? Regards
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have had it a few months, but have noticed it getting worse in the last couple of weeks. I don't have it all the time, only when I'm talking on the phone, trying to have a conversation with my friends, or whilst I am eating. When it happens it is quite severe, I have to stop talking/eating. It lasts for a little while after the event but is happening most days to some extent. I don't notice any sounds associated with the shortness of breath, I just feel like I am out of breath. I have only seen my primary doctor who didn't know what the issue was, but I have had medical tests previously due to some other conditions that I have which are Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome and Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. However I don't associate the shortness of breath with these, because I have had them a while and the shortness of breath is a relatively new symptom for me.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am really sorry to hear about your problem. I agree that your already diagnosed medical problems have nothing to do with your symptoms. Your primary doctor can never help you with this because you need to see an ENT specialist for this. There is a slight possibility of having a laryngocele or any out pouching in your airway or less likely in your food pipe.Your ENT should do an endoscopy under local anaesthesia and should view the functioning of your airway and upper part of your food pipe. You may need a CT scan of your neck and chest. Another possibility is reflux disease, in which acid is coming up then irritating the lungs, causing a hyperactive airway response. So there can be multiple causes however being an ENT myself, I can assure you that as per pattern of symptoms, nothing is serious but you have to follow the above suggestions for getting the diagnosis. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the information. I had an endoscopy in early 2013 due to nausea/vomiting, do you think this should be repeated then in light of my new symptom? I have noticed that after talking for a while that my voice gets hoarse, I feel like I'm straining my voice, would this fit in and possibly be related to the shortness of breath? I also mentioned this to my primary doctor earlier as I've complained of that before and they, again, weren't sure. When you said voice earlier I thought you meant any noise on breathing such as wheezing, sorry for the confusion on my part!

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
Katrina you are most welcome. It's OK, I understand that there can be confusion sometime. Yes I meant hoarse voice or change of voice. This additional information has helped in narrowing down the causes If you get hoarse voice after talking then the cause of your shortness of breath can be related to your vocal cords. There can be weakness of the vocal cords or can be associated problem in the upper airway. For that you must see an ENT doctor. There is a difference between the endoscopy done by an ENT and Gastro doc. The one you got previously was upper GI endoscopy. The one you need now is laryngoscopy primarily. But again I assure you that don't stress yourself for anything serious because in that case the symptoms have to persistent and progressive and should occur independent of eating and talking. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much, I will get a referral to an ENT doctor as soon as I can. This has reassured me and I at least have a direction to go in now! Many thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 2 years ago.
You are most welcome. My best wishes and prayers will be with you :), I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery