Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have a very painful left calf

Customer Question

I have a very painful left calf
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Hasan :

Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you.

Dr. Hasan :

Since how long you have this?

Dr. Hasan :

Is there any redness of skin?

Dr. Hasan :

Is there any swelling of calf?

Customer:

I have had it for 3 days now-there is no redness of the skin. It is larger than the other leg but that has been like that for a year and a blood clot was ruled out

Dr. Hasan :

Is there any pain on pressing the area?

Dr. Hasan :

Do you feel any pain if you press the calf or you feel pain on walking only?

Customer:

Pain when walking usually

Dr. Hasan :

Does voltarol help?

Customer:

For a while and then the pain is back

Dr. Hasan :

What are your diagnosed medical problems?

Customer:

Diabetic

Dr. Hasan :

Are you on any medications ?

Customer:

Metformin and blood pressure tablets

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks a lot for you input.

Dr. Hasan :

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

Dr. Hasan :

As per symptoms this sounds like muscular pain.

Dr. Hasan :

This can be the only possible cause because blood clots have been ruled out already.

Dr. Hasan :

Moreover your description of the problem is less likely to be related to blood clot.

Dr. Hasan :

I would suggest you to take over the counter available tab aleve twice daily.

Dr. Hasan :

and massage the area with over the counter bengay gel.

Dr. Hasan :

apply heating pad twice daily.

Dr. Hasan :

If symptoms persist after 48 hours, get this checked but hopefully will not be required.

Dr. Hasan :

Any question please?

Customer:

What is aleve

Dr. Hasan :

It is a tablet which contains naproxen.

Dr. Hasan :

It is pain killer and anti inflammatory.

Dr. Hasan :

It is stronger than voltarol.

Dr. Hasan :

You just ask your pharmacy for naproxen 500 or 550 mg

Customer:

I actually have some Naproxen

Dr. Hasan :

That's great.

Dr. Hasan :

How much mg?

Customer:

500

Dr. Hasan :

great

Dr. Hasan :

take it twice daily.

Dr. Hasan :

Avoid strenuous activities.

Customer:

Well I was going for a slow bike ride to see if I could get the circulation going-is that advisable

Dr. Hasan :

No as we are suspecting muscular issue, biking will aggravate it.

Dr. Hasan :

Provide rest to the area.

Dr. Hasan :

Anything else I can help you with?

Dr. Hasan :

I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Dr. Hasan :

are you with me?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

I am sorry I was not getting your reply in chat so I shifted here. Is there anything I can help you with? I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The actual pain feels as though it is along the bone on the outer leg next to the calf

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The actual pain feels a though it is on the bone ear to the calf

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you still with me

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Hi, in that case it can be muscular of it can be due to a small stress fracture(definitely not likely but possibility is there). Are you feeling better after aleve? Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have only taken one Naproxen and then I will take another one this evening. Perhaps I will have to wait for them to kick in. I hope it soon goes away as I have had it since Monday evening.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. Yes as I said at least give it 48 hours with naproxen twice daily and hopefully things will be better soon. Avoid activities and massage with cream I suggested or at least apply heating pads to the area. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what do you class as a heating pad

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
There are commercially available heating pads and you can do it at home by simply heating some layers of cloths with iron and can apply it on the leg. Definitely make sure not to heat it too much. Heating pads or just providing heat to the area can be very helpful. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Doctor - you have put my mind at rest....

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
You are always welcome :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What other pain killer can I use with Naproxen

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

are you there

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
HI, I was offline. No you should not combine any pain killer with naproxen. Are you feeling better than before? Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have taken paracetamol - oh dear as I was in a lot of pain- been out so have just got back home- a little better

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your input. Yes paracetamol alternating with naproxen is fine. Hopefully you will be better soon. Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Woke up this morning and the pain is still there- any suggestions

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
HI, I am sorry to hear about this. If pain is not settling with naproxen and paracetamol. I would suggest you to get this checked. It would be better because naproxen is the most we can do ourselves. Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What could the problem be....

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Has anything changed so far in these last few days? Any increase or decrease in swelling, any redness etc? Are you better than before or still the same. Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No redness or swelling - felt better last night then this morning the pain has returned

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
The cause still seems to be muscular.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Shall I still carry on with my medication-48 hrs is not up till this evening

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Yes you can do that but get it checked after 48 hours are over. Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Had a dvt blood test yesterday and it came back all clear

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Hi, so what diagnosis they gave you? Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just to take pain killers

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. If they said so then this means that they are suspecting muscular pain. I would suggest that you should ask them to send you for physical therapy which can help you a lot. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.