Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

problems swallowing food getting stuck and choking, had a lump

problems swallowing food getting stuck and choking, had a lump in neck last year but doctor said it was just glands swollen from bad cough. What sort of scan can I have to find out the problem. Also have a curvature of spine noticed as a teenager am now 43cannot remener name they gave it.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. Do you feel this swallowing difficulty always or it occurs off and on? Is there any associated hoarseness of voice, lymph nodes in neck, fever, acid taste in mouth, weight loss or loss of appetite? Which specialist you have seen and any tests done so far? Please provide the info for best help. Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

difficulty swallowing quite regularly, no hoarseness of voice, fever or loss of weight or appetite. lymph node in neck not so prominent now. No tests done so far.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am really sorry to hear about your problem. I am an ENT specialist and dealing with swallowing problems is my speciality. As per symptoms the most likely cause in your case can be acid reflux from stomach causing inflammation of your food pipe, stricture in food pipe or lastly it can be due to anxiety. Anything serious like cancer is not likely in your case because in cancer the symptoms have t persistent and progressive. Moreover in case of cancer, the lymph nodes should have progressively increased in size instead of getting smaller. You don't have other symptoms associated with cancer so please don't worry about serious issues. Now coming to your original question that what scans you need is concerned, you need to get barium swallow test. According to result of this test, your doctor can order CT scan of your whole food pipe. You may need upper GI endoscopy but the first test to start with is barium swallow. The specialist you need to see is gastroenterologist or ENT specialist. I hope this answers your question. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.