Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My Best pal is down for prostrate surgery soon, we are both

My Best pal is down for prostrate surgery soon, we are both in our 70s, I want to know how recovery works and what can he expect to be able to do and how long he is likely to be un able to enjoy life ? we are both areo moddellers and we spend long lazy days, in the country, flying our models . it is not physicaly demanding. but we do need to motor fo up to half an hour. I can drive if he can travel comfortably
Alan
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--do you know exactly what the surgery is as in a radical (full) prostatectomy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it is a major one

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Alan--and if you need more information after this please let me know. He'll likely be in hospital for three days and he'll go home with an indwelling bladder catheter that will be kept in place for perhaps two or three weeks to allow for blood clots to be dispelled. For the first about four to six weeks he'll be restricted to light activity as in just walking for exercise and no heavy lifting. The pain should resolve itself in about two weeks after the operation. After that he can resume any and all physical activities he'd like. As for the trips to the countryside and the model flying, he should be able to do that after about two or three weeks after the surgery after the catheter has been removed.