Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

What causes me to mimic my friend silently when she speaks

What causes me to mimic my friend silently when she speaks to me?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--can you tell me more about what it is you do and is it only with your friend?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I become very unself-conscious,and watch her face,shaping with my mouth the words she is saying as she speaks.With a `jump` ,I become self -aware.I have `caught` myself doing this three times now on three separate occasions.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Chris. When did this start and is it usually in a relaxed setting?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know how long I have been doing it.I first became aware in the last 3 months.

I am playing bridge with girlfriends and notice I am deeply relaxed,especially in the second before I catch myself.My friend had a really worried frown as she looked at me.There is so much conversation going on that it doesn't seempossible to ask her how I seem to be,besides she isn't the worlds most discreet person!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Chris--and just to check here--you have no problem with understanding what someone else is saying or with speaking yourself?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No,I am not deaf,speak as well as ever,play bridge,and don't lose focus.Dont be afraid to tell me its dementia,if that's what you suspect!

I have asked Richard,my partner,if he has seen me doing this mouthing twice,and he says no ,he has not.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
No problem Chris but let's explore a little more. Are you having any memory problems or perhaps some emotional instability like highs and lows?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My memory is like my friends,we all lose things , have to use a diary.I don't tail off in the middle of a sentence.I realised recently that I had felt that I might behave inappropriately pick at my nose in public,but it was a feeling that passed.I have good mental health now ,after a difficult life.I say that ,meaning that I know what it is to be anxious and troubled.Dad drank.But now I have been happy for 20 years.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Chris. I really think then, that there's nothing to worry about here. The term is empathy and it's just a very strong connection with your friend and nothing more than that. That said, let your doctor know about this just so all the bases are covered.