Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

My husband has breathing difficulty, amongst other things he

My husband has breathing difficulty, amongst other things he has intermittent claudication, could this be causing his shortness of breath. It is really bad.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--can you tell me more about his breathing difficulty and did he get a chest x-ray? Does he have any heart problems?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He had the chest Xray on Monday 2nd June. He has never been diagnosed with heart problems,

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Jo but can you tell me more about the breathing problem and is he having any chest pain?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No chest pain. Is short of breath all the time. Also he is getting cramping in his hands and left leg. If he exerts himself he struggles to breath and coughs all the time. He has been like this for a few weeks. Two GPs said they thought is was because he is on a high dose of steroids as he has had bullous pemphigoid. The dermatologist said that she was not convinced. So we have had conflicting opinions.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Jo and we can continue after this. One thing that comes to mind is that he's had a pulmonary embolus from a clot in his lungs and I would get a Doppler venous flow study of his legs, check his d-dimer levels, and get a contrast ct scan of the lungs for that. Another possibility--even if he's never had any heart problems, this could definitely be a cardiac problem and he may have had or is having a heart attack so I would get an ECG, cardiac enzyme studies, echocardiogram, and a nuclear stress test. I don't see how the steroids could be the cause of the breathing problem